2023 Match Play Tournament Rules
You must have signed up for Match Play via your League application. There is an additional $5 entry fee to cover the prizes for Match Play. Any questions? Contact Linda Moore 970.531.8129
Please be sure you can participate within the parameters of the timeline for Match Play. The FIRST ROUND must be played by 7/5/23. SECOND ROUND completed by 7/26/23, THIRD ROUND by 8/9/23 and FINAL ROUND by 8/22/23.
In Match Play each hole is a separate competition. The player with the fewest strokes on an individual hole wins that hole; the player winning the most holes wins the match.
The number of players depends on our signup. We play with participants divided into an “A” and a “B” Flight. Matches will be set within each flight. There will be a “Winner Flight A” and a “Winner Flight B”. Prizes will be awarded to the four finalists, winner and runner-up in each flight.
SETTING YOUR MATCH—
Call your opponent as soon as possible to set up a time to play your match. If one player cannot play within the allotted time, the player who cannot play should forfeit the match. It is important to play ASAP to move the Tournament along. We need to have the Match Play Tournament in each flight completed as indicated above.
1. Order of Play— The lowest handicapped player has the honor on the first teeing ground and plays first. After that, the player who has won the previous hole has the honor. If a hole is halved or tied, the honor remains with the player who previously held the honor.
To facilitate faster play, play “ready-golf” after the tee shots until both players are on the green.
Once on the green, the player further from the hole goes first. If you play out of this sequence, your opponent may either accept your shot or immediately require you to cancel the stroke and have you replay it in the proper turn.
- Scoring— Allow 15 additional minutes before play to check your handicap and your opponent’s handicap and fill in a scorecard for each player. Log into the GHIN App on the morning of play.Click on “Handicap Calculator”. Select the courses you will play and click on those courses. Select the courses you will play and click on those courses (your handicap will pop up). Click on “Add Golfer” at the bottom of the page. Type in the last name of your opponent (select Colorado to narrow list). Click on your opponent’s name. Click on “Add Golfer” at the bottom on the page. A page will pop up with details of you and your opponent. The C.H. (Course Handicap) is the handicap you will use for Match play. Subtract the lower handicap from the higher handicap. That is the number of strokes the higher handicap player will receive from the lower handicap player.On a scorecard, mark the holes on which strokes will be received starting with the #1 handicap hole on the front nine, the #2 handicap hole on the back nine, the #3 hole on the front nine and so on until you have marked all strokes to be given.
Mark your card on each hole with a + if you win the hole, a – if you lose the hole or an O if you halve (tie) the hole. Or if you are comfortable with keeping a running score (+1, +2, +3, etc.) you may do that.
A match is won when one player is winning by more holes than there are holes left to play. For example, if a player is ahead by four holes and there are only three holes left to play, the player has won the match with a score of 4/3. See “A Match Play Primer” for further explanation.
- Concession— In match play, concession of a stroke (usually putt), hole or match is perfectly legal. Such a concession may not be declined or withdrawn.
Conceded putts should only be offered, never requested. A conceded putt must be removed and not holed out.
- Tied or “All Squared” Match— A match which ends in a tie, should be played off hole by hole until one player wins a hole. The play-off should start on the hole where the match began. Check with the starter if playing the Ranch or Meadow first and be prepared to blend in with players on the course. Use the same handicap strokes on the same holes as the initial round.
- Prizes— Each player has paid $5 toward prizes. Prizes will be awarded to four players at the end of the Tournament, two for each Flight.
- Rules Of Golf— All the normal Rules of Golf apply this Tournament.
Good Luck to All. Have Fun! The rest of us will be watching your progress with interest!
Any questions, call Linda Moore 970.531.8129. Thanks for participating!